Sunday, November 4, 2007

Myanmar monks remain defiant

The monks say they will continue a 'religious boycott'

More than 100 Buddhist monks have marched and chanted in northern Myanmar in the first public demonstration since the government's deadly response against pro-democracy supporters in September.
In an exclusive interview with Al Jazeera correspondent Tony Birtley, monks released from detention have vowed to continue their struggle for greater freedom in the country.
When Ibrahim Gambari, the UN envoy, left Myanmar he left behind a country in turmoil, the military in absolute control and a population in fear.One of the monks, who declined to give his name, said he is determined to carry on the fight for freedom.He said: "No, I'm not afraid. But I'm afraid to get arrested, I'm afraid to die because I want to be alive. I want to fight the government, I want to keep away from [being] arrested. I will try."

After the protests, the military government had arrested hundreds of monks and activists. They describe routine beatings and poor conditions within the prisons."I saw so many men - their backs were very red from the beatings. Some of the monks were bleeding from their mouth because the soldiers were hitting them with a stick, and one monk didn't have any teeth left," the monk said.

0 comments: